Friday, September 2, 2011

The Journey Continues 2011


For one week, we traveled in our tribe of six. Reconnecting with parts of ourselves we had discovered out in the woods and within our hearts. Below are a few words from each participant about their experience.


In the words of Mara

There is a Hunger in my Ocean,
as the swells stretch for shore.

There is a Hunger in my Mountain,
where the peaks silently soar.

There is a Hunger in my Flower,
dried, aching for more.

So sail me to freedom,
I'll let my Hunger Roar.

There is a Hunger in my Dagger,
see the holes it bore?

There is a Hunger in my People,
who, once rich, are now poor.

There is a Hunger in my Soul,
it's searching for a door.

So sail with me to freedom,
we'll let our Hunger Roar.

-Mara, 16






"The Journey is a Privilege, especially alone & together."

- Micah, 17



Jonah tells about a favorite moment

"We were hiking up to Desolation Lookout, trudging up the 4.25 miles of steep switchbacks. The sun right above our heads, we kept cool in the shadows of the trees. Our eyes were focused on the rocky path beneath our feet, one foot in front of the other. We were hiking for quite some time when Micah, our leader for the day, said "Stop! Deer!" Right in front of him, so close he could reach out and touch her, was a doe. She just stood there for a few moments on the trail looking directly at us as if she were surprised to see us there. Then, slowly, she walked into the trees. It was an amazing experience to be so close to something so rooted in nature. It made my day."

- Jonah, 14



Tristan Shares his Gratitude

As this week-long Journey begins to end, and I sit in the car on the long drive back to Songaia, my mind and heart are stretching as they try to hold onto all that has happened, while becoming excited for the future, and most importantly, trying to remain in the now.

The simplest acts of walking, talking, eating and sleeping have created so many good things for me. My five new friends I never knew existed, have given me so much of themselves that I have been able to look myself in the eye and search for what I can give back.

Walking through the columns of the forest, standing high in the wind looking all around at snow peaked mountains, swimming in the crisp, clear lake, surrendering to the cold.

I was given time to feel comfortable with myself and then I felt at home in Nature. By having the space and time to de-clutter my mind, I was able to turn my attention to all the little things around me and to begin to see things as they really are and not in the same mundane way I was used to.

Suddenly, I found great joy in looking at the smallest things; the body of a mosquito perched on my arm, a bundle of needles from some great tree . . . for that, I am grateful.

- Tristan, 15



"The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don't go back to sleep.
You must ask for what you really want.
Don't go back to sleep.
People are going back and forth across the doorsill
where the two worlds touch.
The door is round and open.
Don't go back to sleep."

- Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment